Several years ago, there was a huge snowstorm that dropped a ton of snow on the Bluegrass. Since Mr. Frey and I did not own a four wheel drive at the time, we were pretty much stranded. We got outside to "dig out" and the snow was so heavy that it was obvious it was going to take hours to shovel the driveway. Jonathan suggested that one of us walk to the store for some "homemade spaghetti" supplies and one of us stay behind to clear the drive. My eyes just about popped out of my head at the thought of shoveling the rest of that snow, so I volunteered to walk to the store (a mile away). The walk to the store was quite easy since it was on a downhill slope. The coming back was quite the challenge. I was loaded down with two cans of spaghetti sauce, 2 two liters of Coke (before diabetes), a can of tomato paste, onions, peppers, and hamburger meat. This crap weighed about 15 pounds and I had to lug all of this stuff back home...yes, you guessed it. That downhill slope that was so easy? Well, it's the dreaded uphill slope now! If I was ever going to have a heart attack, it would have been that day for sure. I prayed the entire way. Oh, please God, just let me make it up this "little incline". Oh, please God, just let me make it up this hill. Oh, please God, just let me make it up this mountain. Oh, please God, take me now! I can't walk another step! My arms are aching! I can't breathe! I can't feel my feet! Is this Mount Everest I'm climbing up?!!!
When I finally arrived back at the house red faced, gasping for breath, and sweating like a bad girl in church, I was greeted by Mr. Wonderful in the driveway. He was a bit smug. The Frey man knew exactly what he was doing. He knew that it would be a battle to trudge back up that "little incline", especially with the 2 two liters of Coke that he knew I wouldn't be able to resist.
Anyway, he came in with me and he started the sauce and I began the meat balls. We had been looking forward to spaghetti and meat balls all day. That tangy sauce and those juicy meat balls were going to be like heaven. The aroma of it was mouth watering as we prepared our feast. We got that all put together and he left me in the house to "occasionally stir" while he continued with the shoveling of the drive.
I started a few household chores and soon it was time for me to go and do the first "occasional stir" of the sauce. I took the ladle and stirred the sauce. Omigosh! He's going to kill me! The meat balls are literally breaking apart before my eyes as I stir! What went wrong?!!! That's when it dawned on me that meat balls will not hold together if you DON'T ADD AN EGG OR TWO WHEN YOU'RE MIXING THEM UP!
Well, he didn't kill me probably because I asked him how much he loved me before I told him that he would be having meat sauce instead of those juicy meat balls he had been dreaming about all day. Another is because I've given him more food story laughs than you can ever imagine. He realized a long time ago that I was not Betty Crocker. Every time it snows, we fondly remember that story. Bon appétit!
When I finally arrived back at the house red faced, gasping for breath, and sweating like a bad girl in church, I was greeted by Mr. Wonderful in the driveway. He was a bit smug. The Frey man knew exactly what he was doing. He knew that it would be a battle to trudge back up that "little incline", especially with the 2 two liters of Coke that he knew I wouldn't be able to resist.
Anyway, he came in with me and he started the sauce and I began the meat balls. We had been looking forward to spaghetti and meat balls all day. That tangy sauce and those juicy meat balls were going to be like heaven. The aroma of it was mouth watering as we prepared our feast. We got that all put together and he left me in the house to "occasionally stir" while he continued with the shoveling of the drive.
I started a few household chores and soon it was time for me to go and do the first "occasional stir" of the sauce. I took the ladle and stirred the sauce. Omigosh! He's going to kill me! The meat balls are literally breaking apart before my eyes as I stir! What went wrong?!!! That's when it dawned on me that meat balls will not hold together if you DON'T ADD AN EGG OR TWO WHEN YOU'RE MIXING THEM UP!
Well, he didn't kill me probably because I asked him how much he loved me before I told him that he would be having meat sauce instead of those juicy meat balls he had been dreaming about all day. Another is because I've given him more food story laughs than you can ever imagine. He realized a long time ago that I was not Betty Crocker. Every time it snows, we fondly remember that story. Bon appétit!
Comments