Skip to main content

Zenyatta

The first time that I heard the name Zenyatta was from a coworker – it wasn’t the album. I had seen The Police in concert when I was in college, but I was more a Doobie Brothers fan. Sting alone is another story – I like his style. Back on task, the coworker told me to watch a horse out of Hollywood Park in California called Zenyatta race because she was going to be “the one to watch”. So I began to watch her races on TVG and HRTV. This was also about the time that I discovered TVG and HRTV on cable, which gave me great enjoyment on the weekends – it just made housework and laundry a lot more enjoyable.
It was in 2008 when she won the Apple Blossom Handicap at Oaklawn Park when I realized that she was no ordinary contender. I’ve never seen a horse run dead last – at a distance, mind you – and make the move in the last turn to win the race down the stretch. She came thundering down the stretch like a freight train hauling the mail. My heart was pounding so hard just watching her. It was one of the most exhilarating feelings in the world and there would be many more to come watching her. Her jockey Mike Smith wore a head camera one day and let the public see what it was like from his view to be aboard Zenyatta. I have watched the video over and over and think that Mike Smith is one of the most fortunate men on earth to be able to handle and experience riding a mare with her speed and power.
Before I get into the Zenyatta experience, you have to know a little about the way I watch horse racing. During races, my hand slaps my right hip as they come down the stretch. I’ve been known to bruise my hip many times and I’m always talking in a whisper to the horse/jockey when I think it is time for them to “make the move” and yes, I truly believe they can feel my spirit talking to them . Even at home, there is no sitting down watching a race. I may be seated when they come out of the gate, but I’m on my feet at the first turn and usually chanting “come on, baby” for the horse I believe has the win. If there is a winning ticket, there is a lot of jumping up and down and yells of triumphant jubilation. The neighbors always know when it’s race day.
My husband and I had never been to a Breeder’s Cup race, but that changed in 2010 when “Queen Z”, Zenyatta’s nickname, would be in “my neck of the woods” to race against the boys in the Breeders’ Cup Classic. I had never seen her in person and I just had to see this big, beautiful mare race before she retired. In my mind, it would be a historical event for the ages. Over 72,000 people came to the track that day at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky – it was one of the most attended BC races in history. There were sections of people who came from California to see their “Queen” race. You see the “Queen” may have been born in Kentucky, but she resided in California at Hollywood Park and she was every bit the Hollywood girl!
There were posters, signs, hats, t-shirts, and you could get your betting ticket stamped with her name. I had never seen anything like this in racing prior to Zenyatta. She had an entire team that marketed every move she made – they were called Team Zenyatta. This horse had a Twitter page, a Facebook page, and a website called Zenyatta.com. This wonderful group, Team Zenyatta, went on to become a recipient of a special Eclipse Award in 2010. They resurrected many horse racing fans who had gone dormant.
The racing that day at the Breeder’s Cup World Championships was excitement at its best! We saw the likes of Uncle Mo, Pluck, Chamberlain Bridge, Soldat, Gio Ponti, and Mine That Bird race. We had some really good winners and the excitement was building by the time Goldikova won the Breeder’s Cup Mile, which was Race 8. Race 11 was coming up and had a purse of $5,000,000. Zenyatta would be facing the likes of Lookin’ at Lucky, Quality Road, Blame, and First Dude.
When it was time for the Breeder’s Cup Classic Race 11 contenders to make their way to the paddock area to be saddled, there was electricity in the air. She was one of the last horses to make her way along the track to the paddock area. Every single person rose from their seat to get a glimpse and a photo of Zenyatta doing her “dance”. Zenyatta had so much energy that she walked in what looked like a dance step. It was a move typical in dressage. You would not believe that a horse could have soul and dance all the way to the paddock, but I witnessed it and it is true. Mario, her groomer, had to walk that “Big, Beautiful, Dancing Princess” in front of over 72,000 people and try to keep her calm and focused at the same time. He raised his forefinger vertically to his lips – a sign for the crowd to settle down. Seeing her dancing down the track at Churchill Downs on that cold, November day was better than any rock star entering the building. My eyes filled with tears knowing that I was witnessing history being made that would hopefully put a positive spin on the struggling horse industry.
The paddock was so full of people that it was hard to keep the horses settled. They knew this was a big race and all eyes were upon them. It was a miracle that neither horse nor human was hurt during the paddock viewing. Some racing fans do not realize the dangers of getting too close to these superstars. Thoroughbreds are very high strung. They are prone to “act up” and may kick or bite or rear up if they get excited or spooked. As the jockeys heard “Rider’s Up”, they mounted their ride and made their way down a narrow walkway to the track.
The horses were loaded into the gate with Zenyatta being loaded last. The gates flew open and the horses charged to the first turn, coming fast….all except one who seemed to almost be at a fast gallop…yes, it was the big, beautiful “Queen”. We realized that the “Queen” didn’t like the dirt in her eyes. As the horses began to either fade or make the move, we watched in amazement as SHE began to make her move. My heart was pounding, my hand was slapping my hip so hard that both hand and hip were numb, and my voice was cracking as I screamed “Come on, girl!” She was charging down the stretch! Her span had to be 15 feet with each step! It was thrilling and magical to see her stride. Almost to the finish line…she comes alongside of Blame, but was about a second too late to run him down as he crossed the finish line first. I’ve never witnessed a crowd go silent until that moment.
Zenyatta had traveled 3000 miles to race in this race. It was the first time she had been east of Arkansas since she was sold at the Keeneland sales. I wanted her homecoming to be one of victory. As tears formed in my eyes, a lady from California beside me was crying and kept saying, “She’ll never get Horse of the Year! They’ll never give it to her now!” I grabbed her hand and looked into her eyes and told her that Zenyatta was the horse of the decade and she would win Horse of the Year. A couple months later, I wonder if that California lady remembered that I kept my promise.
We had watched Zenyatta run her last race in her racing career, which at her retirement was 19-1. She had surpassed the greats of Lexington, Big Brown, Smarty Jones, and Ruffian as winning all her races with the exception of one. Both Native Dancer (22-1) and Man O War (21-1) are ahead of her in that category.
On a cold December evening (12/6/2010), Kentucky welcomed back a daughter. In 19 degree weather, I waited for two hours to see the return of Zenyatta to Kentucky. She would begin her next career as a broodmare at Lane’s End in beautiful Versailles, Kentucky. It’s the first time that I have ever tracked a flight on the internet on my iPhone. I knew the moment she touched down and the Keeneland representatives let us know the moment she was on her way. Once again, like a rockstar, Mario took her around the pavilion track for the 1000 plus people to see their Queen. She danced and seemed to marvel at the people. She posed and never flinched when fans reached out to touch her beautiful coat. John Sheriffs and his wife Dottie were there and took her around the pavilion too! John was her trainer at Barn 55 in Hollywood Park – he loves this horse. Ann and Jerry Moss were there too! They are the proud owners of Zenyatta. They both spoke to the crowd and were so pleased with the warm welcome from the people of Kentucky. Mrs. Moss was tearful and touched by the love felt for Zenyatta. Her voice shook as she thanked everyone for braving the weather on a very cold night at Keeneland.
Zenyatta has settled in at Lane’s End and has even had a couple of dates with Bernadini. Her first breeding with Bernadini resulted in a negative result; however, the second breeding was successful. Bernadini will be the father of her foal early in 2012. Zenyatta is in foal at this time (6/25/2011) about 85 days now.
I’m hoping that the horse farms will begin to open their doors to the broodmare divisions in their farms. Many of the most successful race horses have been fillies and mares. Ruffian, Azeri, and Vertigineux all had great racing careers.
Zenyatta changed my life by helping me to reconnect with my interests that had been sidelined for many years. She helped me reconnect with me again.
UPDATE (2/18/2012): Zenyatta is less than a month away from giving birth to her first foal. I’ll keep you posted…
ZENYATTA BIOGRAPHY BY WIKIPEDIA, the free encyclopedia
*Owned by Jerry Moss and his wife Ann, Zenyatta is trained by John Shirreffs and has been ridden by American "Hall of Fame" jockey Mike Smith for 17 of 20 starts. Jockey David Flores rode Zenyatta in her first three starts. She races in the teal and pink colors of her owners, her groom is Mario Espinoza, she stands 17.2 hands (183 cm) tall and she weighs 1,217 pounds (552 kg).

According to a 2010 60 Minutes report, Zenyatta was purchased at the low price of $60,000 because she suffered from a form of ringworm; she has since won purses totaling over $6 million and is noted for overtaking her competition in an intense surge after starting each of her races "lingering languidly" at the rear of the pack. She has been featured in W magazine, and ended her racing career with the 2010 Breeder's Cup.

Breeding and background

Zenyatta was sired by Street Cry, who also sired in the same crop 2007 Kentucky Derby winner Street Sense, multiple Group 1 Australian Weight for Age (WFA) champion Whobegotyou, and 2009 Melbourne Cup winner Shocking. Out of Vertigineux, the mare is half sister to multiple Grade I winner Balance. Her damsire is the outstanding stallion Kris S. She was named after the album Zenyattà Mondatta, by The Police, who were signed to A&M Records by Zenyatta's owner, Jerry Moss. Zenyatta was purchased as a yearling by Jerry and Ann Moss for $60,000 at the Keeneland Sales in September 2005.

Win overview

Zenyatta has won 17 Graded stakes races including 13 Grade I events and has defeated 5 Champions of 8 different awards: Gio Ponti (2009 Older Horse and Turf Champion), Sealy Hill (2007 Canadian Horse of the Year, Champion 3 Year old filly and Champion female turf horse), Summer Bird (2009 Champion 3 Year old),Ginger Punch (2007 Champion older female); Japanese Dirt Horse of the Year Espoir City.

She has defeated multiple Grade/Group I winners including: Colonel John (Santa Anita Derby, Travers Stakes); Richard's Kid (2009, 2010 Pacific Classic Stakes and Goodwood Stakes); Mine That Bird (2009 Kentucky Derby); Einstein (Santa Anita Handicap, Turf Classic Stakes, Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap); European Multiple Group I winners Rip Van Winkle and Twice Over; Tough Tiz's Sis (Lady's Secret Stakes), Ruffian Handicap); Cocoa Beach ( Matriarch Stakes Beldame Stakes); Music Note (Beldame Stakes Ballerina Stakes, Gazelle Stakes, Coaching Club American Oaks and Mother Goose Stakes)

Grade 1 winners; Awesome Gem (Hollywood Gold Cup); Girolamo (Vosburgh Stakes); Hystericalady (Humana Distaff Handicap), Life Is Sweet (Breeders' Cup Ladies Classic), Romance Is Diane (Hollywood Starlet Stakes), Double Trouble ( Santa Maria Handicap), Santa Teresita (Santa Maria Handicap) and Carriage Trail (Spinster Stakes).

Early career

Zenyatta did not begin her legendary racing career until the latter half of her 3-year-old season.

On November 22, 2007, Zenyatta made her first lifetime start and defeated eleven opponents. She broke her maiden in the Maiden Special Weight going 6½ furlongs at Hollywood Parkin Race 6 out of the 9 box and stopped the tele-timer in a swift 1:15.22. She was ridden by David Flores who carried 122lbs and won by 3 lengths. She earned 25,200 of the 42,000 purse and paid 13.00 to Win, 9.20 to Place and 6.00 to Show.

On December 15, 2007, Zenyatta won Race 5 an allowance at 1 1/16 miles at Hollywood Park in a running time of 1:40.97, running out of the 7 box. She was ridden by David Flores who carried 119lbs and won by 3½ lengths. She earned 28,800 of the 48,000 purse and paid 4.40 to Win, 3.20 to Place and 2.80 to Show

2008 Season

On January 13, 2008, Zenyatta racing out of post 2 stopped the tele-timer in 1:40.61 and broke the stakes record in the 1 1/16 miles Grade 2 El Encino Stakes in Race 9 at Santa Anita.
*Information provided by Horse Racing Nation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Courage to Achieve

Submitted by: Sandra Harris Frey One of my favorite things is watching for the mailman on Saturday in anticipation of his delivering my People magazine. It’s even sweeter when it arrives on Friday! My routine is to study the cover for a few minutes and immediately turn to the weekly crossword puzzle to complete. There is no reading until the crossword puzzle is finished. It is a routine that I have practiced for many years. After the crossword puzzle was finished this week, I sat down to read a great article about a man named Alferd Williams from Missouri. He was the son of a sharecropper and worked very hard from the time he was a young boy. There wasn’t time for school, only work. The article was about his new experience of beginning first grade at age 70 because he wanted to learn to read and to keep a family promise. It talked about his day and the encouragement he received from his six year old classmates. What an inspiration Alferd Williams was for me this week and ever...

Destined To Be A Mother

Submitted by: Sandra Harris Frey It has taken a long time to realize that no matter what my age, my mother will always see me as twelve years old with that “sassy, fresh mouth”. She told me a few years ago that she felt destined to be a mother from the time she was a young girl. It was the path she knew she had to travel for definitive contentment. Mother has a breathtaking soul. Her talents are many and she shines like no other. The most miraculous and revered mother in the world would have to be Mary, the mother of Jesus. She was obedient to God and carried the Christ child who would be ultimately sacrificed to save the sins of man. She was brave and courageous and never faltered in what God’s plan was for her, Joseph and their son. Mary must have been a very strong woman to have endured such great pain and loss when Jesus died on the cross. However, can you imagine her great jubilation when he arose from the grave? A mother gives her children positive directives, discipline, love, c...