Skip to main content

The Brightest Star

The Brightest Star
Submitted by: Sandra Harris Frey

A few years ago on a visit to my brother’s house, I noticed just how bright and shining the stars were that evening. Since I live in a larger city, the city lights downplay the brightness of the stars in the sky. He lives in a more rural area and the sky was captivating that evening. It was a clear night. So many stars. So bright and twinkling. So beautiful.

When I think of the stars in the sky, my mind always goes to the one beautiful star many years ago that led three very wise men to a stable. In that stable was a manger. In that manger was a newborn baby boy. His name was Jesus. He would grow up to heal the sick, to feed the hungry, to spread the word of God’s love, and to be brutally beaten and nailed to a wooden cross to die just to save us from our sins.

Would you have sacrificed your son to die for the sins of others? The next time you are star gazing, think of that little baby born in a stable, lying in a manger and the eternal love, hope, and peace he gave to the world.

Matthew 2: 9 – 11

...and the star they had seen in the east guided them to Bethlehem. It went ahead of them and stopped over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they were filled with joy! They entered the house and saw the child with his mother, Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Courage to Achieve

Submitted by: Sandra Harris Frey One of my favorite things is watching for the mailman on Saturday in anticipation of his delivering my People magazine. It’s even sweeter when it arrives on Friday! My routine is to study the cover for a few minutes and immediately turn to the weekly crossword puzzle to complete. There is no reading until the crossword puzzle is finished. It is a routine that I have practiced for many years. After the crossword puzzle was finished this week, I sat down to read a great article about a man named Alferd Williams from Missouri. He was the son of a sharecropper and worked very hard from the time he was a young boy. There wasn’t time for school, only work. The article was about his new experience of beginning first grade at age 70 because he wanted to learn to read and to keep a family promise. It talked about his day and the encouragement he received from his six year old classmates. What an inspiration Alferd Williams was for me this week and ever...

Zenyatta

The first time that I heard the name Zenyatta was from a coworker – it wasn’t the album. I had seen The Police in concert when I was in college, but I was more a Doobie Brothers fan. Sting alone is another story – I like his style. Back on task, the coworker told me to watch a horse out of Hollywood Park in California called Zenyatta race because she was going to be “the one to watch”. So I began to watch her races on TVG and HRTV. This was also about the time that I discovered TVG and HRTV on cable, which gave me great enjoyment on the weekends – it just made housework and laundry a lot more enjoyable. It was in 2008 when she won the Apple Blossom Handicap at Oaklawn Park when I realized that she was no ordinary contender. I’ve never seen a horse run dead last – at a distance, mind you – and make the move in the last turn to win the race down the stretch. She came thundering down the stretch like a freight train hauling the mail. My heart was pounding so hard just watching he...

Destined To Be A Mother

Submitted by: Sandra Harris Frey It has taken a long time to realize that no matter what my age, my mother will always see me as twelve years old with that “sassy, fresh mouth”. She told me a few years ago that she felt destined to be a mother from the time she was a young girl. It was the path she knew she had to travel for definitive contentment. Mother has a breathtaking soul. Her talents are many and she shines like no other. The most miraculous and revered mother in the world would have to be Mary, the mother of Jesus. She was obedient to God and carried the Christ child who would be ultimately sacrificed to save the sins of man. She was brave and courageous and never faltered in what God’s plan was for her, Joseph and their son. Mary must have been a very strong woman to have endured such great pain and loss when Jesus died on the cross. However, can you imagine her great jubilation when he arose from the grave? A mother gives her children positive directives, discipline, love, c...