My friend Sherry and I took off a week in 1999 to meet our friends Kat and Dale at Leitchfield Beach, South Carolina. I had laproscopic surgery the week prior and I REALLY needed some R&R. We stayed in this beautiful beach house with a screened in porch with rocking chairs, a boardwalk to the beach, lots of blue skies, and one vast ocean.
Every vacation has got to involve something historical and this trip was no exception. Sherry and I visited Brookgreen Gardens -- lots of sculpture and the grounds were perfectly landscaped and this is where I found the beauty of azaleas and rhododendrons. They now adorn our landscaping at home.
After a couple hours of touring, Sherry and I decide to stop off at the "Old Kitchen" for some tea for her and a big honkin' Diet Coke for me. Sherry gets her tea and goes back to sit down at a open air table outside the kitchen. I finally make my way to the table and start to sit down and plop, plop, plop.......this clear, warm substance comes from the sky landing on my arm. Well, the sensation of this landing on my arm was just frightening; however, when I look to the heavens and find the source.....well, it's the closest I've ever come to "having an accident" in my pants in public.
High in the sky balancing itself on an electrical wire overhead was this squirrel eating a nut like it was its last Thanksgiving dinner. Its salivary glands were working in overdrive because I've never seen so much squirrel slobber coming off an electrical wire in all of my life! You can't imagine the sight. Well, the staff at the old kitchen placed a call to security to see if they could get "Rocky", my pet name for the squirrel, (you know, from Bullwinkle and Rocky) off the wire. I went back to the kitchen and this lady had me scrub my arm till it was just about raw just in case there were germs involved.....hahahahaha.......
Jonathan and I visited the very spot of the accident in 2009...10 years after it happened. The squirrels? You bet...still there.
Every vacation has got to involve something historical and this trip was no exception. Sherry and I visited Brookgreen Gardens -- lots of sculpture and the grounds were perfectly landscaped and this is where I found the beauty of azaleas and rhododendrons. They now adorn our landscaping at home.
After a couple hours of touring, Sherry and I decide to stop off at the "Old Kitchen" for some tea for her and a big honkin' Diet Coke for me. Sherry gets her tea and goes back to sit down at a open air table outside the kitchen. I finally make my way to the table and start to sit down and plop, plop, plop.......this clear, warm substance comes from the sky landing on my arm. Well, the sensation of this landing on my arm was just frightening; however, when I look to the heavens and find the source.....well, it's the closest I've ever come to "having an accident" in my pants in public.
High in the sky balancing itself on an electrical wire overhead was this squirrel eating a nut like it was its last Thanksgiving dinner. Its salivary glands were working in overdrive because I've never seen so much squirrel slobber coming off an electrical wire in all of my life! You can't imagine the sight. Well, the staff at the old kitchen placed a call to security to see if they could get "Rocky", my pet name for the squirrel, (you know, from Bullwinkle and Rocky) off the wire. I went back to the kitchen and this lady had me scrub my arm till it was just about raw just in case there were germs involved.....hahahahaha.......
Jonathan and I visited the very spot of the accident in 2009...10 years after it happened. The squirrels? You bet...still there.
Comments